SubjectRe: 2.6.1-mm5 dies booting, possibly network related
On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 01:53:28PM -0500, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:23:02 PST, Andrew Morton said:
>
> > So yes, whatever compiler you are using, turn off CONFIG_REGPARM - it is
> > still very experimental.
It's not CONFIG_REGPARM :-(, I have turned it off, recompiled, reboot
-> same effect (it seems the list dropped my mail with bootlog, should I
resend it to the list with gzip compression?).
If someone can help me what patches should I revert, I would be happy
to help OTOH.

> > (And of dubious value - it only saved me 0.6% of program text).
It was for experiencing only, but I see it's not for real value. :-|

> I wonder if this is because the x86 architecture is relatively
> register-starved,
I have started on Sun's SparcStaion (LX actually), and I like RISC
processors much more since then. :-)

> and as a result, we pass the parameters in registers, but the
> first thing the function has to do is store half of them on the stack so it has
> enough free registers to work with. If this is the case then regparm(1) or
> regparm(2) may do better/worse by changing how much register pressure the
> function starts off with.
Yup, that can be the reason why Andrew saw only 0.6% save on program text.

Cheers,
GCS

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.100 / U:0.016 seconds]