    SubjectRe: ALSA vs. OSS
    On Tuesday 20 January 2004 13:18, Mark Borgerding wrote:
    > Me too. I cannot get ALSA working on my SB Live.
    > If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion: Maybe the developer in
    > charge of ALSA's e-mu driver could work with us poor unfortunates.
    > There may be some commonality between our systems that causes this
    > (besides the sound blaster live).
    > My system:
    > Sound: SBLive Value
    > Redhat 7.3 (w/ piecemeal recompiles & upgrades)
    > Kernel: 2.6.1
    > CPU: Athlon XP 2100+
    > Mobo: ASUS (I think it's A7V333. I can confirm this later.)

    ALSA works fine with my EMU10K1; you might find you've selected the "Virtual
    MIDI" device in the kernel config -- for some strange reason if you build
    ALSA into the kernel, this always gets device #0, and it breaks stuff that's
    looking for /dev/dsp (not /dev/dsp1).

    However, "fine" from the above paragraph is fairly subjective. The ALSA driver
    is noticably inferior to the OSS driver in that the ALSA developers, despite
    multiple bug reports and complaints, still persist to use the most horrible
    software tone controls. Enabling them is an utter waste of time, as putting
    them above 60 causes clipping and artifacts.

    The OSS userspace utilities, however, program the EMU10k1 dsp with a very nice
    tone control patch that produces a very high quality control with no

    If ALSA does or could support working with the programmable dsp, I'd be happy
    to switch to it. Right now my "deprecated" SBLive! OSS drivers output higher
    quality audio.

    This is all getting a little OT, because it seems the problems most people
    have with ALSA are userspace concerns, not a problem with the kernel
    architecture. Certainly in my case, this is true.

    personal: alistair()devzero!co!uk
    university: s0348365()sms!ed!ac!uk
    student: CS/AI Undergraduate
    contact: 7/10 Darroch Court,
    University of Edinburgh.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.026 / U:100.800 seconds]