    SubjectRe: License question
    From
    Hi

    > This is also known as the BSD 'advertisement' clause which was the
    > main reason we could never use BSD code in the old days. Berkeley has
    > since updated their license and removed this clause from it, however
    > the license still poses a problem since it doesn't include an explicit
    > patent license grant, but thats a completely different issue.

    No, the advertising clause is not present in the license in question.
    Following is the original BSD license, which includes the advertising
    clause. It is clause #3.
    ====
    Copyright (c) 1993 The Regents of the University of California. All rights
    reserved.

    This software was developed by the Computer Systems Engineering group at
    Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory under DARPA contract BG 91-66 and contributed
    to Berkeley.

    All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software must
    display the following acknowledgement: This product includes software
    developed by the University of California, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.

    modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

    1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
    this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
    2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
    must display the following acknowledgement: This product includes software
    developed by the University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.
    4. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
    without specific prior written permission.

    THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
    ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
    IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
    ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE REGENTS OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
    FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
    DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
    SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
    CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
    LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
    OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
    SUCH DAMAGE.
    ====