    SubjectRe: License question

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:06:32 -0800, David Schwartz <>

    >> > Is it possile to include in the kernel distro some code with this
    >> > BSD-style license ?
    >> Let me see
    > Yes, in general. No, not this license.

    >> > - Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
    >> > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers.
    > Sorry, that's an "additional restriction" not permitted under the GPL.

    This is no restriction. This here just asks for copyright notice and
    conditions to NOT be removed, which is perfectly fine. Section 6 never
    overrides this. Section 6 asks not to restrict rights, and above clause
    does not restrict rights.

    >> > - Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
    >> > notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimers in the
    >> > documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
    > I believe this is an additional restriction as well.

    I find perfectly fine. Is just a request to include the copyright notice
    and conditions along with the binary. Section 2, clause c does not
    override. Does not infringe Section 6 either. What is the problem?

    >> Mmmm... I think yes. Code in kernel must be licensed GPL. Above allow
    >> sublicense so ok
    > They allow sublicensing, but the sublicense can't remove the additional
    > restriction. See section 6 of the GPL.
    > To make this license GPL compatible, the two restrictions above would
    > have to be modified to be identical to, or a proper subset of, section 2
    > clauses b and c of the GPL.

    Hahaha, those are no restrictions, so no problem. Summarizing this
    license, it ends up like this: "Copyright bla bla bla. Keep 'em goddamn
    copyrights and disclaimer or else you have no rights to copy, modify,
    sublicense, redistribute, sublicense bla bla bla. Software provided 'as
    is'. Clear?"

    GPL is ok with that.

    > DS

    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.028 / U:3.968 seconds]