SubjectRe: Catch 22
Paulo Marques wrote:

> I guess the problem is that, by default, Mandrake creates an extended
> partition when installed, where all the other partitions go.
>
> Whenever I install Mandrake, I'm always careful to switch to "Expert"
> mode and configure the partitions to be primary by hand to avoid this
> kind of problems.
>
> If you are a corageous hacker, you can always:
>
> - boot from a CD distribution (knoppix, etc.)
> - run fdisk on your hard drive
> - take note on the cylinders being used by the partitions,
> - delete the partitions on the extended partition, and the extended
> partition itself
> - create the partitions again as primary using the *exact* same
> cylinders
> - write the partition to disk
> - reboot
>
> Probably you'll have to adjust fstab to use the new partitions, but at
> least 2.4 and 2.6 should both agree that you have an hda :)
>
> I don't know if you'll need to run lilo again before rebooting, but I
> would do that just to be on the safe side. To do that:
>
> - mount /dev/hda somewhere (/mnt/disk or something)
> - # cd /mnt/disk
> - edit etc/lilo.conf to always use /dev/hda
> - # chroot . lilo
>
> I hope this helps,

I assumed it was because 2.6 was labeling the SATA controllers before
the ATA ones but this is the least of my worries of 2.6. If everything
else worked with 2.6 I wouldn't need to switch between the two.

My biggest woe is that despite having a very cool graphics card I can't
play Warcraft III using WineX. (Which was the reason for my upgrade)

Mike

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.058 / U:0.016 seconds]