    SubjectRe: Busy-wait delay in qmail 1.03 after upgrading to Linux 2.6
    Haakon Riiser <> wrote:
    > > Output from time:
    > >
    > > real 0m0.309s
    > > user 0m0.011s
    > > sys 0m0.004s
    > Just wanted to comment on my own data, since I just noticed it myself:
    > The output from time indicates that the system is _not_ using CPU
    > while delaying, so you might wonder why I said it did. The reason
    > is that I'm using an AfterStep applet (ascpu) to monitor CPU usage,
    > and it appeared to work fine in 2.6. Now, I see that there are
    > differences: For example, another problem I encountered while
    > upgrading to 2.6 was that disk intensive jobs, such as updating
    > the slocate database, made ascpu report 100% CPU usage. I just
    > ran top (procps 2.0.16) beside it, and it reported approximately
    > 10% CPU usage, which is no more than 2.4 used.

    2.6 has finer-grained cpu utilisation accounting; probably ascpu is
    accidentally lumping I/O wait into system time.

    Still, some of those delays seem excessive and if you indeed are seeing
    longer runtimes than with 2.4, something is up.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:00    [W:0.024 / U:10.268 seconds]