SubjectRe: Proposed enhancements to MD
> > As I've understood it, the configuration for DM is userspace and the kernel
> > can't do any auto detection. This would be a "put off" for me to use as a
> > root filesystem. Configurations like this (and lvm too last I looked at it)
> > require an initrd or some other way of setting up the device. Unfortunately
> > this means that there's configs in 2 locations (one not easily available, if
> > using initrd. easily != mounting via loop!)
>
> You can always do the following: use a mini root fs on the partition
> where the kernel is located that does nothing but vgscan and friends and
> then calls pivot_root. '/sbin/init' of the mini root fs looks like:

What is the advantage of not putting the autodetector/setup in the kernel?
Not everyone is going to use this software (or am I wrong on that?) so that
can be left as an option to compile in (or as a module if possible and if
autodetection is not required). How much work is it to maintain something
like this in the kernel?

I ask because I'm not a kernel hacker, mostly an end user (atleast I can
compile my own kernels =)

I must say, the day that kernel level ip configuration via bootp is removed
I'm going to be pissed =)

I like the fact that MD can autodetect raids on boot when compiled in, I
didn't like the fact it can't be partitioned. That's the only thing that
put me off with MD. LVM put me off because it couldn't be auto detected at
boot. I was going to play with DM, but I haven't yet.