SubjectRe: Proposed enhancements to MD
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:41:07 -0700
Scott Long <scott_long@adaptec.com> wrote:

> A problem that we've encountered, though, is the following sequence:
>
> 1) md is inialized during boot
> 2) drives X Y and Z are probed during boot
> 3) root fs exists on array [X Y Z], but md didn't see them show up,
> so it didn't auto-configure the array
>
> I'm not sure how this can be addressed by a userland daemon. Remember
> that we are focused on providing RAID during boot; configuring a
> secondary array after boot is a much easier problem.

Looking at this chicken-and-egg problem of booting from an array from
administrator's point of view ...

What do you guys think about Intel's EFI? I think it would be the most
apropriate place to put a piece of code that would scan the disks, assemble
any arrays and present them to the OS as bootable devices ... If we're going
to get a common metadata layout, that would be even easier.

Thoughts?

--

Jure Pečar