    SubjectRe: File change notification
    Date
    Hi Rudi,

    Am Mittwoch, 31. Dezember 2003 17:42 schrieb Rüdiger Klaehn:

    > I wrote some experimental mechanism yesterday. Whenever a file is
    > accessed or changed, I write all easily available information to a ring
    > buffer which is presented to user space as a device. The information
    > that is easily available is the inode number of the file or directory
    > that has changed, the inode number of the directory in which the change
    > took place, and in most cases the name of the dentry of the file that
    > has changed.

    I'm also interested in receiving file change notifications, especially
    as I would like to get this working for Samba in a sane way.

    However I don't think your approach would help me much. I simply don't
    want to get every file being changed on the whole machine getting
    reported to me.
    I don't want to look up the inode every time, just to know if it belongs
    to a directory I'm interested in.

    Actually I *like* dnotify being local to a given directory and having
    a fd so I know where the signal I receive belongs to.

    So my selfish reasoning makes me want either
    - dnotify being able to pass some more information if requested
    (I actually tried this and it basically works, it is just too
    crappy to post here)
    or
    - make poll()/epoll() work for file/directory access

    So much for what I want :-)

    ...Juergen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.028 / U:180.292 seconds]