    SubjectRe: best AMD motherboard for Linux
    Derek Foreman wrote the following on 01/01/2004 10:44 PM :

    > [...]
    >There are features available in both the ati and nvidia closed source
    >drivers that are not available in DRI. If I want "full use" of my
    >hardware, then DRI is does not "work best" for me.

    We could argue endlessly on that subject. Let's agree that what
    *practically* works best for one doesn't automatically for another. My
    "best" in "they can't work best" conclusion referred to the utopic
    bug-free, adaptable to whatever changes in new kernels happen during the
    21st century driver.

    >What would probably happen, as has happened with the aureal vortex, is
    >that someone would maintain the open source wrapper.

    You can't bet on it. You don't know which assumptions the binary code
    part makes on kernel structures' layouts.

    > Is nvidia aware of this issue?

    Yes they are, a bug report was already filed to them when I searched
    before posting mine. For the text mode, according to the nvidia people
    answering on their support forums this seems to come from the various
    ways hardware are initialised depending on the actual VGA BIOS. For the
    software suspend problem that bites me now this is probably the lack of
    ACPI support in their driver they are already well aware of but as
    swsusp is a patch to the 2.4 (and now 2.6), I don't think they'll take a
    bug report seriously anyway.

    >Better would be to return the laptop and follow Joel Jaeggli's advice
    >from earlier in this same thread, but unfortunately that's probably not an

    This laptop was the best hardware I could buy for the money and my
    needs. In fact my problems with the nvidia driver weren't even supposed
    to exist as I first planned to go the XFree86 nv driver way (without 3D
    support as I don't need it). Unfortunately, the LCD panel isn't setup
    properly by the OSS driver version distributed with RH9. I didn't have
    time to try XFree86 CVS so proprietary I went...

    >The closed source modules "work best" for me, as some of the code I play
    >with uses vertex buffer objects.
    >I realize that tomorrow nvidia could drop linux support, next week someone
    >could discover that echo HI\ MOM > /dev/nvidiactl gives them a root shell.
    >But for my situation, these things are an acceptable trade for the added
    As I said I agree that "work best for me" is obviously a variable...

    My e-mail was only meant to bring some facts to the discussion
    describing the problems with proprietary drivers not a "burn all unholy
    hardware without proper OSS driver" flamewar starter.
    In the hope that will help cool things down a little, best regards and
    happy new year,

    Lionel Bouton - inet6
    o Siege social: 51, rue de Verdun - 92158 Suresnes
    / _ __ _ Acces Bureaux: 33 rue Benoit Malon - 92150 Suresnes
    / /\ /_ / /_ France
    \/ \/_ / /_/ Tel. +33 (0) 1 41 44 85 36
    Inetsys S.A. Fax +33 (0) 1 46 97 20 10

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:59    [W:0.023 / U:4.320 seconds]