SubjectRe: [CFT/PATCH] give sound/oss/trident a holiday cleanup for 2.6
On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 04:04:20PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:

> hmm, how come a whitespace cleanup patch adds nearly 200 lines which have
> trailing whitespace?

That would be either xemacs's or indent's fault. Can't be my
fault. No sir. Anyway, unless whitespace-mode is lying to me now, no
line has more than at most one character of whitespace added. If it
bugs you, I'll clean it up - it's a slow night tonight ;-)

> > All of the non-indentation changes are in the
> > trident-cleanup-fixes-D1-2.6.0 patch, attached here inline. It needs
> > the indentation patch to be applied before it to apply
> > cleanly. Compiles, boots and plays music fine. Patch is against
> > 2.6.0. Andrew, please add these two patches to -mm1 instead of the
> > "humongopatch" currently there. Thanks!
>
> Could we please have a description of the substantive changes in
> this patch?

Sure thing:

- switch lock_set_fmt() and unlock_set_fmt() from macros to inline
functions. Macros that call return() are EVIL.
- simplify lock_set_fmt() and implement it via test_and_set_bit()
rather than a spinlock protecting an int.
- fix a bug wherein we would do an up() on a semaphore that hasn't
been down()ed if a signal happened after timeout in trident_write().
- fix a bug where we would not release the open_sem on OOM.
- make the arguments for prog_dmabuf clearer (int -> enum), and add
two wrapper functions around it, one for record and one for playback.
- fix a bug where we would call VALIDATE_STATE after
lock_kernel(). Since VALIDATE_STATE does 'return' if validation fails,
bad things can happen. Thanks to Dawson Engler <engler@stanford.edu>
and the Stanford checker for spotting.
- remove the calls to lock_kernel() from trident_release() and
trident_mmap(). trident_release() appears to be covered by the
open_sem, and trident_mmap() is covered by state->sem.
- s/TRUE/1/, s/FALSE/0/

> Thanks.

Entirely my pleasure.

Cheers,