SubjectRe: Panic when finishing raidreconf on 2.4.0-test4 with preempt
On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 14:11, Jakob Oestergaard wrote:

> raidreconf does no "funny business" with the kernel, so I think this
> points to either:
> *) a bug which mkraid can trigger as well
> *) an API change combined with missing error handling, which raidreconf
> now triggers (by calling the old API)
> *) a more general kernel bug - there is a *massive* VM load when
> raidreconf does its magic, perhaps calling mkraid after beating
> the VM half way to death can trigger the same error?
>
> raidreconf, upon complete reconfiguration, will set up the new
> superblock for you array, mark it as "unclean", and add the disks one by
> one. Once all disks are added, the kernel should start calculating
> parity information (because raidreconf does not do this during the
> conversion, and hence marks the newly set up array as unclean in order
> to have the kernel do this dirty work).
>
> There should be nothing special about this, compared to normal mkraid
> and raidhotadd usage - except raidreconf is probably a lot more likely
> to trigger races.
>
> Ah, fingerpointing ;)
>
> (/me sits back, confident that his code is perfect and the kernel alone
> is to blame)

I'll mess around this evening a bit if I get a chance. I really wasn't
in the mood to see this error again (losing five years worth of data can
do that to a person, but I've come to terms (with my own arrogance and
stupidity, along with the data loss (just old e-mails and pictures, but
stuff that is nice to hold onto anyway)) and pre-ordered Plextor's new
DVD burner). But that does leave me with a few blank drives that I can
beat on all anyone needs.

I'll be putting -test5 on first. I had planned on disabling the
preempt, but since that was reported in the oops, I'll leave it on.

I initially ran my mkraid under 2.4.20, but I'll see how it does with
2.6.0-test5. I'll mkraid on a 4 drive RAID5 setup, and see if it
completes. Then raidreconf it to 5 drives. I'll scribble down the oops
this time too, if I see it again.

Anything else anyone wants me to try? Or other data to fill in blanks?

--
Chris