SubjectRe: Hardware supported by the kernel
    Hi Dave :)

* Dave Jones <davej@redhat.com> dixit:
> > My mistake, sorry. BTW: what graphics cards manufacturer currently
> > supports Linux?. I need to buy a new graphic card for a friend (AGP)
> > and I don't know what one to buy :(((
> in the performance/gamer end of the market, you're screwed.

I supposed :(( The problem is that this friend have never used
Linux at all, and wants a Knoppix, so any card supported by Knoppix,
both with open and binary only drivers will do. But I would largely
prefer a card with open drivers. I don't feel like supporting closed
hardware with my money (well, my friend's money in this case).

Speed shouldn't be an issue, since this computer is fairly old,
and the graphics card replacement is just because the PC failed
recently and although we identified the problem (seemed to be the
HD), the graphics card does... well, weird things...

OTOH, I'm worried because if someday I must replace *my* graphic
card, I want one that gives me speed in 2D, no more. I spend 99% of
my time in the console, so I need... 1D so to say ;))). When I run X
I just want decent performance, not a high-end card. Any card
supported by X with some speed and an open driver will do.

> ATI - Radeon 9200 is AGPx8, supported by open driver (Based on R200 core)
> All other current cards need binary only driver.

Well, if the Radeon 9200 has open driver, it may be the card.

> Nvidia - Binary only for accelerated 3d.

I will NEVER buy an NVidia. I will NEVER put a binary only driver
in my box.

> Matrox - Not exactly a speed demon any more in the 3d market. Open
> drivers though. Not sure about Parhelia.

Speed is not an issue. If a Matrox is open hardware (well, more
or less) it may be a candidate too.

> S3 - Again, poorly performing, specs/drivers are out there.

S3 are slow cards, generally, but I don't mind. If it works in
text mode I'm done. If it works with X (without bells and whistles,
no KDE maybe, slow window moving, etc...) it may do too. I would like
to see movies under my X, but if I must sacrifice some functionality
in order to support open drivers, I will do.

Thanks a lot for the info ;)

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736