    SubjectRe: PROBLEM: APIC on a Pentium Classic SMP, kernel 2.4.21-pre5 to 2.4.23-pre3
    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Mikael Pettersson wrote:

    > >IRQ problems with APIC enabled on a Neptune chipset, Pentium 90 SMP.
    > >
    > >Description
    > >
    > >Since kernel 2.4.21-pre2, IRQ problems are present on my Pentium 90 SMP, wi=
    > >th
    > >APIC enabled. It works well with 2.4.20 with APIC enabled, or with newer
    > >kernels with "noapic" kernel option.
    >
    > There were a lot of I/O-APIC & MP table parsing changes in 2.4.21
    > for clustered apic. Chances are something there broke on your
    > ancient BIOS & mobo. I can't immediately see anything obviously
    > broken in 2.4.21: you'll have to identify the first pre-patch where
    > things broke and then test or revert it piece by piece.

    The log shows the system is using a default MP configuration (i.e. no MP
    table, only a suitable header). The recent changes definitely broke such
    systems -- someone doing them seems to have not cared about the default
    configurations. I've noticed the breakage recently and put it on my to-do
    list, but unfortunately I have no time to code a fix now.