    Subject[OT] Re: nasm over gas?
    Richard B. Johnson wrote:

    > I strongly suggest that if you have an interest in assembly, you
    > cultivate that interest. Soon most all mundane coding will be
    > performed by machine from a specification written by "Sales".
    > The only "real" programming will be done by those who can make
    > the interface between the hardware and the "coding machine". That's
    > assembly!

    I have a long standing dispute with one of my friend: once he has
    said 'asm is dead - every one is using C/C++ now'.

    Those I wasn't able to counter this claim. TSR programmes gone
    together with DOS, and ordinary desktops started challenging expensive
    workstations.

    But little bit later I caught an example: Palm OS. Yes. A lot of
    stuff is written in Asm. Why? Because *size does matter*: size == price,
    bigger application - more expensive it is for your customer. C was not
    able to compete with Asm.

    But now we have hand-helds/mobiles which do run Windoz/Linux. Run
    them almost unmodified/unstripped. Cool. C/C++ rules. Windoz CE with VBA
    - dream of idiot.

    Asm dead again? No-o-o-o. L3/L4 switch we are doing utilizes special
    micro-controller, which can be programmed in dialect of MIPS assembler.
    It has fast RAM for 4K of insn's and executes in real-time. I didn't saw
    C compiler for this - but this is really exotic example. But still
    example - Asm is far from being dead.

    What will be next? In my short carrier I saw as Asm was dying three
    times. But I beleive it will reborn over and over again ;-)))

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:4.033 / U:1.168 seconds]