SubjectRe: 2.4.22 with CONFIG_M686: networking broken
Date

AFAIR local APIC is enabled by default for CONFIG_M686
and it is not for CONFIG_MPENTIUM4.

If you are using local APIC please try with "noapic" boot option
or recompile kernel without local APIC support.

This is just a guess...

--bartlomiej

On Wednesday 03 of September 2003 13:08, Peter Daum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It seems, like kernel version 2.4.22 introduced some weird bug,
> that causes all kinds of network malfunctions, when the kernel is
> compiled with "CONFIG_M686".
>
> I am sorry, that I can't come up with a clearer error
> description, but the whole issue is pretty mysterious: there is
> no actual error occurring, but some networking functionality is so
> slow that it's for all practical purposes useless. The best test
> cases I could find are:
>
> - getting a file via ftp (e.g. wget ftp://...): Data rate over a
> normally fast network connection is ~ 200 bytes /second, the
> connection soon dies with a timeout
>
> - writing to a SMB share (provided, that samba is running on the
> machine) is awfully slow and eventually aborted (Windows
> complains about "network congestion")
> reading via SMB works as usual ...
>
> I upgraded the kernel on a bunch of machines - on most of them, I
> had to immediately go back to the previous kernel because there
> were obvious problems; some machines, however, worked perfectly
> normal with the new kernel.
>
> I tried lots of different options until I eventually found out,
> that the single setting that makes all the difference is the
> processor type: Independently of any other settings, all kernels
> with "CONFIG_M686" exhibit these problems; when I change this to
> "CONFIG_MPENTIUM4" and recompile, everything seems to work.
>
> (By the way: the affected machines have "Pentium Pro" or "Pentium
> II" processors - is it safe to run a kernel compiled for "Pentium
> IV" on such boxes?)
>
> Regards,
> Peter Daum

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.086 / U:3.584 seconds]