    SubjectRe: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability
    Hello!

    > It mostly works, sometimes it doesn't, but in total the number of
    > working hours of PRODUCTIVE use from it is many orders of magnitude greater.

    Maybe the other people working on Linux feel different, but I just don't
    care about the masses and about anybody's commercial success. If they like
    using Windows, well, they deserve it. I'm helping to create a system _I_
    and the people around me like.

    About drivers: People around me who are using Windows do have many
    problems (want to use three different USB scanners simultaneously? eh,
    forget about that), people using Linux have slightly less or maybe the
    same amount of problems, but guess what -- for the Linux users there
    usually is somebody around who knows how to fix the things while Windows
    users are helplessly reinstalling their binary-only stuff nobody really
    understands. That's a real story and I guess it's a very typical one.
    And it's the reason why almost nobody here likes binary-only drivers.

    > Multiple the number of Windows users in the world by their working time and
    > then do the same for Linux!

    Well, you can multiply the number of insects in this universe by their
    working time and get an even larger number, but does that mean anything
    except you are skilled in arithmetic?

    Have a nice fortnight
    --
    Martin `MJ' Mares <mj@ucw.cz> http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/
    First law of socio-genetics: Celibacy is not hereditary.