    SubjectRe: Complaint: Wacom driver in 2.6
    [disclaimer: I am not a kernel developer!]
    On Tuesday 30 Sep 2003 07:59, Simon Ask Ulsnes <> wrote:
    > Thanks for replying.
    > You aren't even using the wacom driver!

    I _am_ using the wacom driver. I'm just using the wacom kernel driver rather
    than the XFree86 wacom driver.

    > Mine works too in that way (I think it is some kind of regular PS/2 mouse
    > emulation or so).

    I think it goes something like this: the kernel wacom driver now interprets
    wacom packets into standard kernel mouse input. See drivers/usb/input/
    wacom.c for that: it's the wacom_graphire_irq() function that's doing it for
    us both. Then /dev/mice gathers the input from all sources like this and
    presents them as a single ps/2-style mouse interface. I _think_ this is
    done in mousedev.c, but I haven't really looked into it. Someone feel free
    to correct me!

    On my machine, the result is that events from both my Wacom and my old PS/2
    style mouse are seamlessly merged into /dev/mice, so that's all X needs to
    consider, and I could use them both at once if I wanted. Not that useful to
    me, in fact, and the PS/2 mouse is only connected for those rare occasions
    when I boot into some ancient program from a DOS floppy, but hey...

    I think, if you want to get the XFree86 driver working, you can't use /dev/
    mice as well (otherwise, for example, when using the pen, your X mouse will
    get events from both /dev/mice, as the kernel translates the pen movements
    into /dev/mice events, _and_ from the Wacom driver interpreting the same
    input event stream.

    > Come to think of it, maybe the problem lies in the XFree86 driver, which I
    > suppose isn't really compatible with the new kernel. Well, whatayaknow...
    > ;-)

    I think that may be your problem. I don't know whether the standard event
    interface has changed at all recently. I haven't found any need for the
    extra tablet features yet that would need me to look into the XFree driver
    thoroughly (one thing I do remember, though, is that the last time I looked,
    you needed to remove the mouse from the pad and drop it back down again
    before the driver started working -- did you try that, or were you seeing
    weird results rather than no results at all?)

    Anyway. It's quite possible that as 2.6 starts "getting about a bit", the
    XFree86 driver will be naturally updated to cope with it. I don't know what
    the current status of the driver is. The project homepage is here: ...but I'm guessing
    you'd already found that.

    Good luck!

    "It's the small gaps between the rain that count,
    and learning how to live amongst them."
    -- Jeff Noon

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.023 / U:0.104 seconds]