    SubjectRe: RFC: [2.6 patch] disallow modular IPv6
    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

    > I think they are the same. It's module building depending upon the
    > kernel image being up to date.
    >
    > modules: vmlinux image
    > ... blah blah blah
    >
    > or however you want to express it in the makefiles.

    I strongly disagree with this. What the makefiles currently do is correct,
    i.e. if you "make modules" you'll only get updated modules, you didn't ask
    for an updated vmlinux, and so you don't get it. The module you get is
    built correctly, i.e. you'd get the same result if you had rebuilt vmlinux
    before, since the building of the module does not depend on a "correct"
    vmlinux at all.

    If in just about any project you type "make some_object.o", you don't
    expect make to recompile and rebuild the rest of the project, either, you
    ask it to 'make' something, and will build exactly that something and the
    prerequisites necessary to get it right.

    A sidenote is that if you are using modversions, building the modules
    correctly needs versioning information from vmlinux, so in that case we
    need vmlinux to be up-to-date. And that's why in this case vmlinux will be
    rebuilt first (if something changed) - otherwise the modules you were
    asking for wouldn't be correct. But the fact the you get an updated
    vmlinux is just a side-effect, you didn't ask for it, and thus you can't
    rely on it.

    Think about the meaning of "make".

    With respect to the actual discussion, my opinion is that it's desirable
    to have the core kernel not change depending on whether or not something
    is compiled modular, but I believe there are cases which justify an
    exception, and IPv6 seems to be one of them. Modversions will catch this
    and prevent the user from inserting the module and accidentally crash the
    system, so I think it's all fine.

    --Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:2.348 / U:0.004 seconds]