SubjectRe: keyboard repeat / sound [was Re: Linux 2.6.0-test6]
On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 03:50:24AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@suse.cz>, on Mon Sep 29, 2003 [05:16:43 PM] said:
> > On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:59:02AM +0200, Roger Luethi wrote:
> >
> > > With test6, keyboard repeat takes very noticably longer to kick in after X
> > > has been started (for both X and console). In test5, starting X makes no
> > > difference.
> >
> > Bug in repeat rate setting code. Thanks for reporting, this should fix
> > it:
> >
> Hi;
>
> I applied this patch to 2.6.0-test6, but the delay before
> repeat kicks in is slower than previous versions. It seems more like
> the latest 2.4 kernel.

This is because it is the same as on the latest 2.4 kernel. 2.6 used
software autorepeat up to test6. Now, because of hardware bugs, it was
necessary to switch back to hardware autorepeat, like 2.4 uses.

> Note, this isnt the speed of the repeat, but
> the delay before it kicks in. Havent tested unpatched test6.
> On the other hand, the mouse pointer (ps/2) has been kicked
> into overdrive. much faster than test5 and latest 2.4.

Interesting. This probably has much to do with mouse acceleration
settings. What was done was that the mouse report rate was made LOWER
(60 compared to 200) to cure problems with some systems that couldn't
handle the high report rate.

This makes the movement per report larger and thus the acceleration
formula in XFree then works more aggressively.

> Also, I think that the requirement to enable gameport in
> the input section to get access to some alsa sound drivers is
> a bug. Ive looked at the source to some, and they #ifdef around
> gameport support. test5 didnt have this problem for my 1371 driver.

That one is for ALSA people.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR