    SubjectRe: Kernel includefile bug not fixed after a year :-(
    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 14:12:06 +0200
    Andreas Steinmetz <> wrote:

    > Then please tell me why PPPIOCNEWUNIT is only defined in linux/if_ppp.h
    > and not net/if_ppp.h which is still true for glibc-2.3.2. And please
    > don't tell me to ask the glibc folks. There are inconsistencies between
    > kernel headers and userland headers which force the inclusion of kernel
    > headers in userland applications.

    Indeed, and equally someone tell me where all the IPSEC socket
    interface defines are in glibc? It doesn't matter which tree
    you check it won't be there.

    Even if one is of the opinion that nobody should be including the
    kernel headers, you must fully realize that as a matter of
    practicality people absolutely must do this to use many kernel
    interfaces to their full extent.

    Suggest changes to fix the problems, but just saying "don't include
    kernel header in your user apps, NYAH NYAH NYAH!" does not help
    anyone at all.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:49    [W:0.020 / U:42.320 seconds]