SubjectRe: Scaling noise
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 06:06:53PM -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > Here's a thought. Maybe the next kernel summit needs to have a CC cluster
> > BOF or whatever. I'd be happy to show up, describe what it is that I see
> > and have you all try and poke holes in it. If the net result was that you
> > walked away with the same picture in your head that I have that would be
> > cool. Heck, I'll sponser it and buy beer and food if you like.
>
> It'd be nice if there were a prototype or something around to at least
> get a feel for whether it's worthwhile and how it behaves.
>
> Most of the individual mechanisms have other uses ranging from playing
> the good citizen under a hypervisor to just plain old filesharing, so
> it should be vaguely possible to get a couple kernels talking and
> farting around without much more than 1-2 P-Y's for bootstrapping bits
> and some unspecified amount of pain for missing pieces of the above.
>
> Unfortunately, this means
> (a) the box needs a hypervisor (or equivalent in native nomenclature)

how much of this need could be met with a native linux master and kernels
running user-mode kernels? (your resource sharing would obviously not be
that clean, but you could develop the tools to work across the kernel
images this way)

David Lang

> (b) substantial outlay of kernel hacking time (who's doing this?)
>
> I'm vaguely attached to the idea of there being _something_ to assess,
> otherwise it's difficult to ground the discussions in evidence, though
> worse comes to worse, we can break down to plotting and scheming again.
>

> -- wli
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.090 / U:1.692 seconds]