SubjectRe: Driver Model 2 Proposal - Linux Kernel Performance v Usability

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Guillaume Morin wrote:

> Dans un message du 03 Sep à 10:49, Andre Hedrick écrivait :
> > The only solution is to created a GPL pre-loading module with all the
> > GPL_ONLY needed extentions re-exported or externed as to bypass the
> > horse sh*t.
>
> Which would be a violation of the GPL :
>
> What is the difference between "mere aggregation" and "combining two
> modules into one program"?
>
> Mere aggregation of two programs means putting them side by side on
> the same CD-ROM or hard disk. We use this term in the case where they
> are separate programs, not parts of a single program. In this case, if
> one of the programs is covered by the GPL, it has no effect on the other
> program.
>
> Combining two modules means connecting them together so that they form a
> single larger program. If either part is covered by the GPL, the whole
> combination must also be released under the GPL--if you can't, or won't, do
> that, you may not combine them.
>
> What constitutes combining two parts into one program? This is a legal
> question, which ultimately judges will decide. We believe that a proper
> criterion depends both on the mechanism of communication (exec, pipes, rpc,
> function calls within a shared address space, etc.) and the semantics of the
> communication (what kinds of information are interchanged).

You assume wrong.

The Pre-Loader or "freed-symbols" is to return symbols that were once
EXPORT_SYMBOL which are now openly renamed EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.

This is open thieft of the kernel API.

So I welcome you and your lawyers to sue me for making a GPL module which
allows free use of the stolen symbols. Please come to California and lets
party. Since it is an original work as a new module, regardless if it is
derived or not, being GPL and source available you lose ... Have a nice
day.

Cheers,

Andre

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:2.517 / U:0.036 seconds]