SubjectRe: Scaling noise
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003, Steven Cole wrote:

> Since Larry is off doing other things for the next week and a half,
> I'll attemt to to answer that for him. Larry was possibly
> referring to IRIX scaling to 1024 CPUs, e.g. the "Chapman" machine,
> mentioned here:
> http://www.sgi.com/company_info/awards/03_computerworld.html

An Origin 3k, Altix is essentially the Origin 3k architecture but
engineered around Itanic CPU boards. :)

> It appears that SGI is working to scale the Altix to 128 CPUs on Linux.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106323064611280&w=2

Working to? Nah, they did that a long time ago:

http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-mm/2001-03/msg00004.html

They've had another 2.5 years since to further work on Linux
scaleability.

"SGI Altix 3000 superclusters scale up to hundreds of processors."

So, either they've already run Linux on Altix or Origin internally
with hundreds of CPUs or they're fairly confident there arent any
major problems they couldnt sort out in the time it would take to
build, test and deliver a hundred+ node Altix.

> Steven
> -

regards,
--