    SubjectRe: RFC: [2.6 patch] disallow modular IPv6
    On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:39:10PM -0300, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
    > Its not just this, look at all the CONFIG_IPV6 related #ifdefs in the core
    > tcp/ip v4 code, the point is that this is a (currently) needed limitation to be
    > able to ship a kernel that can be used by both ipv6 users and people that
    > doesn't (yet) need ipv6.
    > Simply removing the ifdefs in the headers will not help, leaving it in the
    > kernel will bloat general purpose kernels, so can we live with this limitation
    > till we sort out the IPV6/IPV4 entanglement in a good way? I.e. lets leave ipv6
    > as a special case, perhaps just adding a big fat warning in relevant Kconfigs.

    What about the following solution (the names and help texts for the
    config options might not be optimal, I hope you understand the

    config IPV6_SUPPORT
    bool "IPv6 support"

    config IPV6_ENABLE
    tristate "enable IPv6"
    depends on IPV6_SUPPORT

    IPV6_SUPPORT changes structs etc. and IPV6_ENABLE is responsible for
    ipv6.o .

    > - Arnaldo

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.025 / U:0.284 seconds]