    SubjectRe: dual ethernet ports problem.
    Adarsh Daheriya wrote:
    > hi all,
    > i have got a system which has 2 eth ports. i use one of them (eth0) to
    > "network boot" the system
    > using dhcp, tftp and then mount the nfs file system on it.
    > this leaves the other port (eth1) unusable. i cannot ping to the other
    > system through it.
    > but when i ping any of the two eth ports from some other system i get
    > the reply back.
    > but to my amazement the mac entries of both the ports is that of eth0 in
    > arp table. (arp command)
    > why and how eth0 is acting as a proxy (perhaps) for both the ports and
    > how can i disable it?
    > could anybody please help me in this concern.

    Both ports on the same subnet/switch/etc perchance?

    Linux replies to an IP address out of any port it cares to.[1] I've
    seen this come up a number of times, but I can't seem to find references
    to it in google.... Ah, wait, try this:
    LWN writeup about this:
    (Google for 'linux-kernel ping route IP MAC wrong' w/o quotes.)

    [1] Over-simplification to the extreme, and probably wrong to boot. 8)