    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: ATTACK TO MY SYSTEM
    Worse than this is the fact that some idiot wrote spam software that tells
    each RECPIANT that someone tried to send them spam. I saw a cc list hat
    included half of linux-kernel.

    Gerhard

    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:55:57 +0200 (CEST)
    > From: Maciej Soltysiak <solt@dns.toxicfilms.tv>
    > To: Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk>
    > Cc: Jan Evert van Grootheest <j.grootheest@euronext.nl>,
    > Mike Galbraith <efault@gmx.de>,
    > german aracil boned <german@tecnoxarxa.com>,
    > linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    > Subject: Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: ATTACK TO MY SYSTEM
    >
    > > When there are enough complaints to mail server admins, hopefully the
    > > philosophy will change.
    > It is changing. I have been talking to antivirus software people (nod32)
    > and I suggested that their virus signatures could have information whether
    > the virus spoofs the sender address or not, and then simply do not send
    > replies for infected mail. I got a response that they are working on it,
    > and that other antivirus software developers like dudes from symantec,
    > sophos, mcaffe, etc... are working on it also.
    >
    > So we should have a slightly better solution to that when the software
    > gets better.
    >
    > Also note the disinformative effect of the virus on plain users.
    > We will have all of these problem until the protocols get seriously
    > improved. We urgently need a reliable and secure SMTP replacing or
    > extending protocol, which would aid in tracking down the culprits.
    > TCP/IP Ideas like icmp traceback messages (it's still an IETF draft)
    > and other ideas will hopefully help us cut down on spoofing, flooding,
    > etc, as the detection will improve. Anyway these are my wishes for the
    > Internet Community. The protocols we are using today (SMTP, IP) are
    > inadequate due to lacks in their defensive value.
    >
    > I also heard that there is work in progress conerning SMTP
    > replacement/improvement by enhancements.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Maciej
    > -

    Gerhard Mack

    gmack@innerfire.net

    <>< As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.