    SubjectRe: NS83820 2.6.0-test5 driver seems unstable on IA64
    On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:51:04 -0700
    Grant Grundler <> wrote:

    > Even x86 pays at least a one cycle penalty for every misaligned access.

    Yes, one cycle, and it's completely lost in the noise when it

    > In general, open source code has no excuse for using misaligned fields.
    > It's (mostly) avoidable. TCP/IP headers are the historical exception.

    It's not the TCP/IP headers intrinsically, it's what they are embedded
    inside of.

    For example, if the ethernet driver (as nearly all of our's do which
    can) optimized for an ethernet header followed by an IP header, guess
    what? That causes ethernet header followed by appletalk followed
    by IP to do unaligned accesses.

    It is an unavoidable axoim in the kernel networking. Unaligned accesses
    will happen, and they aren't a bug and therefore not worthy of mention
    in the kernel logs any more than "page was freed" :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.020 / U:14.100 seconds]