    SubjectRe: Can we kill f inb_p, outb_p and other random I/O on port 0x80, in 2.6?
    Date
    In article <m1wuc0io78.fsf@ebiederm.dsl.xmission.com>,
    Eric W. Biederman <ebiederm@xmission.com> wrote:
    | Jamie Lokier <jamie@shareable.org> writes:

    | > Unfortunately, there are a lot of drivers, and a lot of x86
    | > arch-specific code, which use the delay operaters. There's no real
    | > way to verify that all the drivers are fine when the delay is reduced
    | > or removed.
    |
    | We just need something sufficiently good. If the delay is removed
    | on a system that needs it someone will complain.

    The only problem with that is that is that (a) a complaint and a dollar
    will get you a cheap beer, but this is Linux and no one *needs* to fix
    it, therefore not breaking it becomes more important. The top developers
    are not running legacy 386's, I bet. And (b) if the problem comes up
    months from now, will anyone think to try timing changes for "every once
    in a while" problems.

    I really like the isa_delay() idea, or similar, which will be in a
    single place and probably get enough attention to make it work. It just
    sounds like a safer way to go with equal benefits.
    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc