    SubjectRe: Can we kill f inb_p, outb_p and other random I/O on port 0x80, in 2.6?
    Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > Alan, can you describe a little more what the original delay is needed
    > for? I don't see it documented in my 8254 data sheet. The better I
    > can understand the problem the better I can write the comments on this
    > magic bit of code as I fix it.
    >
    > The oldest machine I have is a 386 MCA system. Any chance of the bug
    > showing up there? I'd love to have a test case.
    >
    > Another reason for fixing this is we are killing who knows how much
    > I/O bandwidth with this stream of failing writes to port 0x80.

    Unfortunately, a lot of drivers use the _p operators so if the delay
    is simply removed, it may take a while before the ill effects of that
    are discovered.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.038 / U:0.848 seconds]