SubjectRe: Process in D state (was Re: 2.6.0-test5-mm2)
Rob Landley <rob@landley.net> wrote:

> But, twice in a row now I've made this happen:
>
> 1391 pts/1 S 0:00 /bin/bash
> 1419 pts/1 S 0:00 /bin/sh ./build.sh
> 1423 pts/1 S 0:00 /bin/bash
> /home/landley/pending/newfirmware/make-stat
> 1447 pts/1 D 0:04 tar xvjf
> /home/landley/pending/newfirmware/base/linux
> 1448 pts/1 S 0:37 bzip2 -d
>
> All I have to do is run my script, it tries to extract the kernel tarball, and
> tar hangs in D state.
>
> How do I debug this? (Is there some way to get the output of Ctrl-ScrLk to go
> to the log instead of just the console? My system isn't currently hung, it's
> just got a process that is. This process being hung prevents my partitions
> from being unmounted on shutdown, which is annoying.)

sysrq-T followed by `dmesg -s 1000000 > foo' should capture it.
> Other miscelanous bugs: cut and paste only works some of the time (it pastes
> blanks other times, dunno if this was -test5 or -mm2; it worked fine in
> -test4).

vgacon? fbcon? X11?

> The key repeat problem is still there, although still highly intermittent.

I think Andries says that some keyboards just forget to send up codes.
We'll probably need some kernel boot parameter to support these, using the
keyboard's silly native autorepeat.

> The boot hung enabling swap space once. I don't know why. (Init was already
> running and everything...)

Probably the O_DIRECT locking bug: I had `rpmv' getting stuck on boot for a
while. mm3 fixed that.