SubjectShutdown question.
I have an ABIT IC7-G and using the original bios that came with the box it
would shutdown all the way with: shutdown -i 0 -g 0 -y, however now that I
have upgraded the bios to the newest, it stops at Flushing devices, etc,
etc, then Power Down, but it stays there.

Another thing too, when I have the i8xx random number generator enabled
WHEN using the old bios, I get TONS of errors all over the place when
doing file copies, md5sums and so on.

When I use do not use a kernel with the i8xx random number generator,
there are no problems at all, and I can shut down.

I've e-mailed ABIT but have not received any response regarding this
issue.

I am currently using ic717.exe BIOS revision, there may be a newer one
now...

As far as the errors go, I do not have have bad ram or a bad HDD, and I
only got all those 'file input/output error' etc when I had the random
number generator (i8xx) support turned on with the older bios. With the
newer bios, I do not have any such issues with the i8xx enabled.

It seems as if maybe this motherboard / linux have
something/incompatiblity/in terms of fully powering down? Is there
something new about i875 motherboards that still is a problem even up to
2.4.22 kernels with shutting down?

It would be nice to be able to shutdown the machine and have it power off,
this isn't an old AT-based computer that requires you to flip the switch
to fully power it off ;)

Does anyone have any solutions? I've asked A-Bit 3-4 weeks ago, as to
that, no response. I've tried many different BIOS', but the only one that
will fully shutdown is the one that came with the board (03/27/2003) is
the datecode on that BIOS if I remember correctly.

I am not sure what else to try at this moment.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.028 / U:0.116 seconds]