    SubjectRe: Rik's list of CS challenges
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > On Mer, 2003-09-17 at 10:52, Terje Eggestad wrote:
    >
    >>What become more interesting is that while you may have NV RAM, it's not
    >>likely that MRAM is viable on the processor chip. The manufacture
    >>process may be too expensive, or outright impossible, (polymers on chips
    >>that hold 80 degrees C in not likely), leaving you with volatile
    >>register and cache but NV Main RAM.
    >

    > We effectively handle that case now with the suspend-to-ram feature.
    >

    >>A merge of FS and RAM? (didn't the AS/400 have mmap'ed disks?)
    >

    > Persistant storage systems. These tend to look very unlike Linux because
    > they throw out the idea of a file system as such. The issues with
    > debugging if they break and backups make my head hurt but other folk
    > seem to think they are solved problems

    I see no reason to get rid of file systems - they provide a nice
    and established way of organizing data. Persistent RAM offer
    other advantages though - no need for disk caching, mmap
    simply gives access to the memory, execute without loading first.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.031 / U:33.700 seconds]