    SubjectRe: ide-scsi oops was: 2.6.0-test4-mm3
    On Tue, Sep 16 2003, Ian Hastie wrote:
    > On Tuesday 16 Sep 2003 10:20, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > > >
    > > > It does. However it also produces the same error message as cdrecord
    > > > when doing so, ie
    > > >
    > > > Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported.
    > > >
    > > > The implication being that it could go away or become broken at any time.
    > >
    > > I wouldn't read anything in to that if I were you. Joerg has some mis
    > > guided ideas about ATAPI addressing, but he would be a fool to remove
    > > open by devname at this point.
    >
    > What about this version of the argument then? There are a number if
    > pieces of software, eg cdrdao, that don't support open by devname.
    > The kernel developers would be foolish to remove support for them at
    > this time. Works both ways doesn't it.

    (cc me if you want me to read the mails, thanks)

    That's a different discussion - they don't work with SG_IO typically
    either, so they await the block sg driver anyways. It doesn't change the
    fact that trying to pretend devices are hanging off a SCSI bus with bus
    and device ids when they are not is just horrible.

    --
    Jens Axboe