    SubjectRe: Dynamic allocation of char majors in the new world order
    Yesterday I done wrote:

    > The new register_chrdev_region() and cdev_* functions are reasonably easy
    > to get a grasp of, for the most part. But I'm curious about one thing:
    > what do you do if you want to use the new functions with dynamic major
    > number allocation?

    Well, I'm a little slow, but it is possible for things to seep into my
    brain eventually. Further review of the source makes it clear that the
    dynamic allocation case is what alloc_chrdev_region() is for.

    Look for a new article in the driver porting series shortly...

    jon

    Jonathan Corbet
    Executive editor, LWN.net
    corbet@lwn.net

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.018 / U:1.280 seconds]