    SubjectRe: People, not GPL [was: Re: Driver Model]

    David Schwartz wrote:
    >>On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:40:14 +0200, you wrote in linux.kernel:
    >

    >>>However, Richard Stallman does not agree with this view. It's his
    >>>view that if the authors chose to give you the code, you can use it any
    >>>way you want to, regardless of how the authors feel about that type of
    >>>usage. This is why he created the GPL.
    >>

    >>Use in any way you want to is the BSD license, not the GPL.
    >

    > Please show me one restriction on *use* in the GPL.
    >
    > "Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
    > covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of
    > running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
    > is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
    > Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).
    > Whether that is true depends on what the Program does."
    >
    > Licenses that place restrictions on usage are *not* open source licenses.

    What about "usage" of source code?

    GPL says you are not allowed to "use" GPL source in a non-free program
    that you publish.

    >>The GPL
    >>does restrict what you're allowed to do in order to keep the source
    >>free...
    >

    > Yes, it restricts your ability to distribute and your ability to create
    > derived works if and only if you distribute those derived works. It places
    > no restrictions whatsoever on use. And since it requires distributors to
    > place no restrictions not in the GPL, distributors cannot place *any*
    > restrictions on usage either.

    I don't think anyone was talking about use of applications, but rather
    use of source code.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.029 / U:0.068 seconds]