    SubjectRe: horrible usb keyboard bug with latest tests
    On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 11:38:23PM +0200, Andries Brouwer wrote:
    > On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 03:46:08PM +0200, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
    > > On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 05:57:44AM -0700, Mr. Mailing List wrote:
    > > > Ok, for the last few test kernels, there is a horribly
    > > > annoying usb keyboard bug. after a while in X, or
    > > > just when you start putting some input, all the
    > > > keyboard lights on on my msnatpro keyboard. after
    > > > that, the keycodes are screwed up(like the left alt
    > > > button)
    > > >
    > > > sometimes one key would stick, like
    > > > kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    > >
    > > For me too, even with a normal keyboard attached to the PS/2 keyboard port.
    > > In my case it's very rare, and not a 'constant stick' but short 'pulse' of
    > > the same character like displaying 'kkkkkkkkk' in my terminal even if I'm
    > > sure that I didn't forget my finger on the key. OK, it's not a showstopper
    > > bug, but sometimes annoying. It's 2.6.0-test3 (vanilla).
    > Yes, I see this too, but very infrequently.
    > For the 2.6 kernels key repeat is not taken from the keyboard but is
    > done via a kernel timer, and clearly the code is not quite correct.
    > I have not yet been able to detect it before I already
    > had hit the next key but maybe somebody else can answer:

    I hit it too on a PS/2 Siemens keyboard, but surprisingly I could only
    verify it with both windows keys on the right side of the keyboard (the
    ones between altgr and ctrl). It has never happened with a 'regular' key.

    It's not very frequent but I get it about once per day or so.

    I use those keys to switch consoles, instead of using
    alt + [left|right] arrow; and sometimes one gets stucked and scrolls the
    consoles around until I press another key.

    I'm pretty sure it's not the keyboard as it never happened in 2.4, and
    it's been happening since 2.5.5X or .6X IIRC (in fact I think I posted
    something about it).

    > When does this repeat stop?
    > Does it stop because the next key has been hit?

    Yes, it stops on any keypress or, if I'm running X, when it hits the X

    > And: does it occur more often when the machine has high load?

    I have no idea, I really never thought about it but I'll put load and see
    what I can find.

    Do you mean cpu load or some more complex vm load? (ie. I should "while
    true; do true ; done" or "make -j bzImage" =)

    Please let me know of anything else I can help you with.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.029 / U:0.544 seconds]