    SubjectRe: Efficient IPC mechanism on Linux
    > I'm saying it can. I don't want to go too deep into an arguement about
    > microarchitectural details, but my point was that a memory copy of a page
    > is NOT super expensive relative to several other effects that have to do
    > with pagetable manipulations.

    Sorry, but I cannot believe it.
    Reading a page tagle entry and storing in into a struct capability is not
    comparable at all with the "for" needed to move bytes all around memory.

    > but the pipe code cannot know this so it has to do a cross cpu invalidate.

    Sorry for you. Don't knowning does not justify it.
    It's inefficient.

    > and... which is also releasing it before the copy

    Oh, yes. After wasting thousands of cycles, sure.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.019 / U:1.808 seconds]