    SubjectRe: 2.6.0-test4-mm5 and Warcraft III - WineX

    Tony Jones wrote:

    >In my testing of recent kernels 2.6.0-test5 and 2.6.0-test4-mm4 (mm6
    >wouldn't cooperate with X for some reason and I didn't do much
    >investigation) I've experied an easily replicable and highly annoying
    >problem with Warcraft III and WineX 3.1 (prebuilt).
    >
    >After playing 1 or 2 games, or leaving the game idle in the chat room,
    >the sound will eventually start to stutter and chop badly. In the
    >presence of this incredibly bad sound, the mouse and game respond just
    >fine (kudos to the scheduler on that point). Considering the game is
    >played in "real-time" and is full of audio cues I hate to imagine that
    >Con's scheduler will be the "official" scheduler of 2.6 without having
    >this issue addressed.
    >
    >The kernels I use are tainted with nvidia's video drivers, 1.0.4496.
    >
    >Nick's scheduler in 2.6.0-test4-mm5 seems to be the only thing capable
    >of correcting this problem. In general operation, mm5's scheduler
    >seems better at handling about everything I threw at it, with a rare
    >xmms skip once in a week of use.
    >
    >I'm not a developer but I'd love some feedback and or questions to
    >help figure out why this happens with Con's scheduler patches in mm4
    >and test5 to help improve 2.6.0 altogether.

    Actually, I'd love some feedback from you.
    Use this: http://www.kerneltrap.org/~npiggin/v14/sched-rollup-v14.gz
    It will apply against 2.6.0-test4 or test5 (not mm). See how you go.

    Thanks

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.023 / U:68.192 seconds]