    SubjectRe: RFC: [2.6 patch] better i386 CPU selection

    > > > 2. The CPU types are not a total order. Say I want a kernel
    > > > that supports Athlons and a Centaur for my cluster. What
    > > > CPU setting should I use? What CPU setting will give my the best
    > > > performing kernel - and is that the same as the one for smallest
    > > > kernel?
    > >
    > > You'd use two kernels. There is no sane other answer to that specific
    > > case 8)
    > Ehmm. In some cases, having multiple kernels is a pain in the @55.
    > Having the option to make a generic kernel should remain. One that
    > works on as much as possible CPUs. Even if it's a bit suboptimal on
    > some CPUs.
    > Also it would be nice if we can make the boot code run on anything
    > until the point where the CPU is detected. Then we can give a nice
    > message that the kernel was not compiled for this cpu instead of a
    > blank-screen-hang. If we have to compile printk for 386 for this

    Better yet do the check in i386/boot/setup.S; its assembly anyway... I
    actually had check there (or somewhere near that :-) for x86-64. Not
    sure where it is now.
    [Johanka's followup: and *two* hearts?]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.023 / U:41.200 seconds]