    SubjectRe: Filesystem Tests
    On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 06:06:37PM +0400, Hans Reiser wrote:

    > I don't think ext2 is a serious option for servers of the sort that
    > Linux specializes in, which is probably why he didn't measure it.

    FWIW, I use Linux to run an application which generates many large
    temporary files. Some larger runs could easily generate hundreds
    of GB of on-disk data. I really prefer to use ext2 for these temp
    files. The speed is nice, and the data consistency guarantees the
    other FSes give me does not really mean much as most of the files
    are not of any use if the machine were to crash. Fsck times on
    an unclean shutdown are a problem, but I guess I could solve that
    by running mkext2fs instead.

    On my home machine I switched the partition I do mozilla development
    on from ext3 back to ext2. The man reason being that "make clobber"
    was so much faster. And again I feel comfortable doing this because
    I can regenerate everything on that partiton with out too much
    work.

    Anyway, I just wanted to point out that ext2 still has its uses. Im
    looking forward to trying out reiser4. The speed looks quite impressive
    from what I have seen on the net.

    Thanks,

    Jim

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:4.611 / U:0.028 seconds]