    SubjectRe: MSI K8D-Master - GART error 3
    Date
    Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> wrote:

    > There is nothing in any of my trees that generates such a message.
    > If it was GART related it would be either "GART TLB error ..." or
    > "extended error gart error". But even that should not happen anymore,
    > see below.
    >
    > I don't know what the RedHat kernel does, they may have changed the
    > MCE handler over the reference port.

    A quick google brings up this reference:
    http://www.iglu.org.il/lxr/source/arch/x86_64/kernel/bluesmoke.c

    The error appears to be generated by the code starting around line 152
    in that file.

    Btw, what is 'bluesmoke'?

    >> The system also has an Adaptec 2120S scsi raid card.
    >
    > Probably the driver is doing something bad with the pci_dma API
    > (which uses the GART on x86-64)

    Certainly I had a lot of trouble with this card, I was pleased the
    aacraid driver worked enough to let me even install this time - the Red
    Hat GinGin64 installer gave a kernel panic - so I wouldn't be surprised
    if this card/driver were the cause. :(

    > You can always disable it with mce=off or better mce=0
    > as the message seems to be caused by the periodic non fatal MCE check
    > timer.

    What will I lose by disabling this?

    I just tried booting with mce=0 and I am still getting the same errors.

    > However there was a bug in the MCE handler where it managed to turn on
    > an GART related MCE event through the backdoor that doesn't work
    > correctly and is sometimes raised spuriously. But at least in the SuSE
    > beta9 kernel or recent x86-64.org kernels this should have been
    > fixed. But it doesn't generate such a error message anyways,
    > so it's hard to know what the exact cause is.
    >
    > I would suggest to retry with a recent x86-64.org CVS kernel and see
    > if it still happens there.

    I will give that a go and see what happens.

    Thanks for the response Andi.

    -Simon

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.046 / U:1.312 seconds]