    SubjectRe: FS: hardlinks on directories
    On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:05:06PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

    > tar --dereference loops on symlinks _today_, to name an example.
    > All you have to do is to provide a way to find out if a directory is a
    > hardlink, nothing more. And that should be easy.

    Actually I think that is the crux of the problem. If I do:

    touch a
    ln a b

    then a and b are both links to the same file. It is not like a is the
    real file and b is a link to it. The situation is indistinguishable

    touch b
    ln b a

    When you say that you want hardlinks to work on directories I believe
    people are making the assumption that you want this to hold true for
    directories as well. The difference between hardlinking directories
    and using symlinks or mount --bind is that there IS a difference between
    a directory and a link to the directory.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.019 / U:2.632 seconds]