SubjectRe: FS: hardlinks on directories
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 05:05:06PM +0200, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> tar --dereference loops on symlinks _today_, to name an example.
> All you have to do is to provide a way to find out if a directory is a
> hardlink, nothing more. And that should be easy.

Actually I think that is the crux of the problem. If I do:

touch a
ln a b

then a and b are both links to the same file. It is not like a is the
real file and b is a link to it. The situation is indistinguishable
from:

touch b
ln b a

When you say that you want hardlinks to work on directories I believe
people are making the assumption that you want this to hold true for
directories as well. The difference between hardlinking directories
and using symlinks or mount --bind is that there IS a difference between
a directory and a link to the directory.

Thanks,

Jim

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.160 / U:0.268 seconds]