    From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
    [mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org]On Behalf Of Ingo Oeser
    Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 7:36 AM
    To: Jeff Garzik
    Cc: Nivedita Singhvi; Werner Almesberger; netdev@oss.sgi.com;
    linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Subject: Re: TOE brain dump

    Hi Jeff,

    On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 03:08:52PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > So, fix the other end of the pipeline too, otherwise this fast network
    > stuff is flashly but pointless. If you want to serve up data from disk,
    > then start creating PCI cards that have both Serial ATA and ethernet
    > connectors on them :) Cut out the middleman of the host CPU and host
    > memory bus instead of offloading portions of TCP that do not need to be
    > offloaded.

    Exactly what I suggested: sys_ioroute()

    "Providing generic pipelines and io routing as Linux service"
    Msg-ID: <20030718134235.K639@nightmaster.csn.tu-chemnitz.de>

    on linux-kernel and linux-fsdevel

    Be my guest.

    I know, that you mean doing it in hardware, but you cannot
    accelerate sth. which the kernel doesn't do ;-)

    Regards

    Ingo Oeser

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.023 / U:88.364 seconds]