SubjectRe: FS: hardlinks on directories
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 08:42:09 -0700 (PDT)
Brian Pawlowski <beepy@netapp.com> wrote:

> I'm still waking up, but '..' obviously breaks the "no cycle"
> observations.

Hear, hear ...

> It's just that '..' is well known name by utilities as opposed
> to arbitrary links.

Well, that leads only to the point that ".." implementation is just lousy and
it should have been done right in the first place. If there is a need for a
loop or a hardlink (like "..") all you have to have is a standard way to find
out, be it flags or the like, whatever. But taking the filename or anything not
applicable to other cases as matching factor was obviously short-sighted.

Regards,
Stephan

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans