SubjectRe: Initramfs
Date
Followup to:  <3F44D504.7060909@pobox.com>
By author: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> > No. initramfs is stuck in limbo at the moment, and early userspace is
> > unlikely to see any real work until 2.7. Feel free to ask questions,
> > but don't expect them to result in anything actually happening.
> >
> > If you want to do real work in this area, the klibc mailing list is the
> > place to go: http://www.zytor.com/mailman/listinfo/klibc
>
> Correct, though there is one thing I am thinking about adding to 2.6:
>
> Support replacing "initrd=" with "initramfs=", so that bootloaders can
> pass a cpio image into the standard initrd memory space.

Note that the initrd= option is actually a boot loader option, not a
kernel option, so the name of the option shouldn't change.

But yes, an initramfs image loaded into initrd space should be
unpacked *on top of* what's already compiled into the kernel.

-hpa
If you send me mail in HTML format I will assume it's spam.