    Subject[RFC] /proc/ide/hdx/settings with ide-default pseudo-driver is a 2.6/2.7 show-stopper

    Some background first: we need ide-default driver (set as a device driver
    for all driver-less ide devices) mainly because we allow changing devices
    settings through /proc/ide/hdX/settings and some of them (current_speed,
    pio_mode) are processed via request queue (we are currently preallocating
    gendisk and queue structs for all possible ide devices). The next problem
    is that ide-default doesn't register itself with ide and driverfs.
    If it does it will "steal" devices meaned to be used by other drivers.

    If we want dynamic hwifs/devices, moving gendisks/queues allocation
    to device drivers and ide integration with driverfs we need to:

    (a) kill /proc/ide/hdX/settings for driver-less devices and kill ide-default

    (b) add much more shit to ide-default and deal with driver ordering madness
    when integrating with driverfs

    Any important reasons why we cant chose solution (a)?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.019 / U:2.400 seconds]