    SubjectRe: [BUG] 2.6.0-test4-mm1: NFS+XFS=data corruption
    "Barry K. Nathan" <> wrote:
    > I'm really short on time right now, so this bug report might be vague,
    > but it's important enough for me to try:
    > I have an NFS fileserver (running 2.6.0-test4-mm1) exporting stuff from
    > three filesystems: ReiserFS, ext3, and XFS. I'm seeing no problems with
    > my ReiserFS and ext3 filesystems. XFS is a different story.
    > My client machine is running 2.4.21bkn1 (my own kernel, not released to
    > the public; the differences from vanilla 2.4.21 are XFS and Win4Lin).
    > If I use my client machine to sign RPM packages (rpm --addsign ...),
    > using rpm-4.2-16mdk, and the packages are on the XFS partition on the
    > NFS server, about half of the packages are truncated by a couple hundred
    > bytes afterwards (and GPG sig verification fails on those packages).
    > It's always the same packages that get truncated by the same amounts of
    > data. This is 100% reproducible. It doesn't matter whether I compile the
    > kernel with gcc 2.95.3 or 3.1.1. If I perform the operation on my non-XFS
    > filesystem the problem doesn't happen. If I run 2.6.0-test4-bk2 instead of
    > test4-mm1 on the NFS server, the problem goes away. (I have never run
    > any previous -mm kernels on this server.)
    > Hmmm... If I sign the packages on the NFS server itself, even with
    > test4-mm1 on the XFS partition, I can't reproduce the problem.
    > *However*, that's a different version of RPM (4.0.4).
    > Is this enough information to help find the cause of the bug? If not,
    > it might be several days (if I'm unlucky, maybe even a week or two)
    > before I have time to do anything more...

    -mm kernels have O_DIRECT-for-NFS patches in them. And some versions of
    RPM use O_DIRECT. Whether O_DIRECT makes any difference at the server end
    I do not know, but it would be useful if you could repeat the test on stock

    Alternatively, run

    export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

    before running RPM. I think that should tell RPM to not try O_DIRECT.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:48    [W:0.022 / U:0.236 seconds]