    SubjectRe: How to use an USB<->serial adapter?
    On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:44:18PM +0200, Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am experimenting with a Prolific USB<->RS232 adaptor. We have
    > in-house developments that need serial communication and there
    > are more and more mainboards that provide only one RS232 connector.
    > (We would need more in one machine...)
    > So we decided to try an usb-serial converter. The one we bought
    > was happily recognized by a RedHat 9 system but I couldn't get
    > two-way communication over this converter.

    Which kernel version are you using?

    I didn't run your test programs, but are you sure you got the hardware
    flow control settings correct? How about testing the device with
    minicom, as that is a program that is known to work properly with these
    devices (along with lots of other ones, but that's a good place to

    > setserial produces an error:
    > # setserial /dev/ttyUSB0
    > Cannot get serial info: Invalid argument

    Yes, setserial does not work with the majority of the usb-serial
    drivers, patches gladly accepted to fix this :)

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:47    [W:0.020 / U:11.504 seconds]