SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.22-pre10
On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 00:47, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> This is the _first_ vanilla 2.4 kernel which I can run _unpatched_ on my
> customer's firewalls. This one was stressed all the day at 4000 hits/s.
> Subsystems and drivers include aic7xxx, cpqarray, bonding, tulip, eepro100,
> sunhme, PIII / PPro SMP, netfilter. Everything looks fine and smooth even at a
> sustained write rate of 900 kB/s (logs). I only loose and corrupt significant
> number of firewall logs above 3000 lines/s if I don't extend the log buffer
> size. I've been using the fairly simple attached patch for a few months now
> with success (no loss up to 5600 lines/s). I believe Randy Dunlap has already
> got nearly the same one included in 2.5/2.6, so may want to include it too
> since it's not really intrusive, although my customer can survive with one
> patch :-)

Have you tried using the ULOG target and the ulogd userspace daemon?
It uses netlink and can batch several entries together before it sends
them to userspace. Works a lot better than syslog.

Are you using ip_conntrack on that machine? if you are, be aware that
ip_conntrack doesn't scale well at all on SMP. It's beeing worked on.

--
/Martin